Since 2008, the Petey Greene Program has been training, coordinating and supporting volunteers tutors and teaching assistants inside prisons.
[Create timeline graphic]
- 2007 - Charlie Puttkammer established the Petey Greene Program
- 2008 - Pilot tutoring program runs with 20 volunteers in New Jersey
- 014 - Hire Office Coordinator and move into a physical office
- 2014 - First Annual Volunteer Appreciation dinner held in Princeton
- 014 - Programs begin in Boston, Washington, D.C., Philadelphia, and New York City
- 015 - New university partners and corrections facilities
- 2016 - Hire Program Director
- 2017 - Nearly 900 volunteers, 8 states, over 11,000 volunteer hours
- 2017 - Jim is awarded a 2017 AARP Purpose Prize
- 2018 - 10th Anniversary
Petey Greene will be hosting events in various regions to celebrate this 10-year milestone! If you have any ideas or would consider hosting an anniversary event for us, contact Meg.
This section will have short video shout outs from current and former volunteers. Collecting these on Friday, March 16th.
At the Petey Greene Program, we love a challenge! In 2008, our Executive Director, Jim Farrin, accepted the challenge to establish a program that sends college students into prisons. Every day, we continue this challenge by recruiting more volunteers, developing new partnerships, and expanding the program from the northeast.
To make this happen, we need your support. This year for every dollar you donate it will be matched 1:1. Donate today and help us change the lives of more students and volunteers!
[Graphic - Showing total dollar amount and our progress that can be updated biweekly.]
Meet the People Behind The Program
Hundreds of individuals have contributed to the success of this program. We invite you to get to know the people behind the Program!
[(I was thinking this list would be buttons that link to individual interviews. We could have more than one in each category or rotate them as new ones are completed. Current or former volunteers, Current or former students, Employees, Partners, Board Members) ]